Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

Nigeria's first test tube baby, Hannatu Kupchi, gains admission to study medicine


Hannatu Kupchi



NIGERIA'S first ever test tube baby Hannatu Kupchi has secured admission to study medicine at a Hungarian university in what will become the nation's first case of a child born via In Vitro Fertilisation‎ (IVF) going on to become a doctor.

Ms Kupchi was delivered at Nisa Premier Hospital in Abuja on February 11 1998, signalled a major milestone in medical practice across Nigeria. Her birth opened the gateway to many such scientifically-aided child deliveries in the country and she has decided to go into medicine herself by qualifying as a doctor.



According to Ms Kupchi, she has decided to study medicine so she can be of greater help to families in frantic search of babies of their own, adding that with her birth, misconceptions about IVF were broken and that many more children had been brought into this world. Over the weekend, Nisa Hospital's management organised a reception in her honour to celebrate her university admission.

Ms Kupchi said: "I barely made it beyond the cut off mark but God helped me. I am going to try my best and make everyone proud.

"I am studying medicine because I want to be a doctor. I want to study it because I want God to use me to help families who suffered what my parents went through."

Nisa Hospital's chief medical director Dr Wada, added: "It is very difficult to make a statement on a day like this. When I was out of this country, I knew there were people who wanted babies, so I made the decision to come back to Nigeria to help people and it happened on the 11th of February 1998 when this historic event occurred at this hospital.

"The baby of that historic day is going to become a doctor and because the parents stood firm, we were able to help others. You gave us government recognition and that was important as it was the first time that a federal minister came to receive a baby in Nigeria, so I want to assure you Hannatu, that when you graduate, there is an automatic employment when you finish your medicine in Europe."

Hosea Kupchi, Hannatu's father, said: "We had 13 years of marriage without a child and we went through the orthodox method without any success. However, along the line, my sister-in-law told me that there is one Dr Wada that has been helping couples and that is how we came here.

"Then challenges came again on how to let the world know that we have achieved this feat locally here in Nigeria. One, there is issue of stigmatisation but I said to myself that nobody can change my belief."




500 ACRES OF LAND AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT IKORODU AND EPE, LAGOS, NIGERIA

If you are an investor in Real Estate and you are looking for land to develope a Housing Estate, or to establish a school, or for any other purpose, there is large expanse of land upwards of  500 Arcres available at Ikorodu, near Imota and Epe communities, Lagos, Nigeria.

GET DETAILS ........


Post a Comment

0 Comments