Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

People disliked me because of my dreadlocks explains new look – Ade Bantu



Ade Bantu

People disliked me because of my dreadlocks explains new look – Ade Bantu

Nigerian-German music star, Ade Bantu, speaks about his new image and music

A few years ago, it was difficult to imagine multi-talented Nigerian-German musician, Adegoke Odukoya, better known as Ade Bantu, performing before a large audience without the dreadlocks that once reached down to his shoulders.

Surprisingly when our correspondent met him recently at a musical concert held in Lagos, he had shaved them off. Explaining why he had to do this, the musician who is well known for his eclectic approach to music, says, “I just felt it was time for a change. When people started telling me that my dreads were my brand, I became suspicious of the whole concept or idea. That made it even easier for me to get rid of the dreads because I didn’t want to be defined by my appearance or looks.”

Looking quite different in a low hair cut, Ade Bantu wants to be judged by his works and he thinks they speak for him. The decision to get rid of the dreadlocks was not due to any personal feeling that they were no longer suitable for his image as an artist.

Noting that in the beginning, he wore the dreadlocks with pride and when it was not fashionable to do so, he continues, “It was important at that stage in my life to make as statement with my hair and appearance, as well as to get people thinking. Also, I wore the dreads because I liked them. Sometimes you have to move on, just like you would grow a beard and at some point you shave it off.”

The artiste advises those who are probably thinking he decided to do away with the dreadlocks because he wanted to get a corporate job or compete with the likes of Wizkid to perish the thought.

Recalling how other people had initially reacted to his hair style, he says, “Right from the first day I went out into a public place with dreadlocks there was a lot of disapproval, especially in Nigeria. But that did not bother me because I knew what I was going up against. I was well informed and I knew the discrimination I would face as someone wearing dreadlocks.

“For 23 years, I wore my dreads with pride. I went through a lot before I was eventually accepted. Before then, people rejected my dreads. Even other members of my family were not understanding and ultimately accepting me for who I am. I don’t think that 23 years down the line, I would feel pressured and guilt such that I want to cut off my hair.”

Looking at the past 23 years, Ade Bantu is happy that he took the decision to return to Nigeria from Germany, his mother’s country. But for Nigeria, the musician claims, he would not have gone this far as an artiste.

“Nigeria has always played a central role in my artistic endeavours and identity as an artiste. But Europe also played a part in shaping who I am. I have enjoyed a very loyal support from music fans in this country. Over the years, they have grown with me and there is nothing more rewarding than to have an audience that actually embraces your adventurous spirit.

“With Bantu, it has always been a roller-coaster ride. We have worked with UB40, Wale Ayuba, Asa, Sound Sultan and late Fatai Rolling Dollars, to name a few out of over 20 artists in Nigeria. A lot of people support us because they feel that we are not one-dimensional,” he says.

Also, taking stock of his achievements and the situation in the music scene since relocating finally to Nigerian from Germany about six years ago, Ade says he has done quite a lot. “For me, coming back home had to do with the fact that although I was representing Nigeria abroad and I got all the accolades, the question is what kind of country I was doing this for. Was it the Nigeria of my childhood? Was I representing memories that had noting to do with the realities on ground?



“I came at a time when the Nigerian music scene was shifting and there was a greater acceptance of Nigerian music in the country. Many clubs and radio stations started playing Nigerian music. A lot of artistes could not really make the transition and there was a lot of confusion because, for the first time in our history, Nigerian music became formatted.

“The eclectic musical landscape that I grew up with in the country completely disappeared all of a sudden and everything became formatted. For me, that was serious reality check. I had to reposition within this shift. That is why I think it was good to come back home.”

Ade Bantu is currently working on a new project, a documentary film titled Elders’ Corner. It is a history of Nigeria, which features some of the country’s musical icons, such as Ebenezer Obey, the late Fatai Rolling Dollar and others.

Interestingly, the artiste says that his foray into music has never had anything to do with money. Instead, it is about finding more happiness and peace within. “I don’t have a problem doing an album that doesn’t sell. As long as I am happy, I am okay. Money has never been my priority,” he says.

Post a Comment

0 Comments